Radiographs are such an important tool for the veterinarian, but they can be fun too! Everybody loves the “what did the dog swallow” x-ray, so that is where we will start. Can you see what Brittany (below) swallowed?
Okay, this one is a little harder. This doggie presented for some abdominal discomfort. Do you see what she ate?
This is actually quite serious! This is what a penny looks like when it has been ingested, and the stomach acid starts dissolving it. The real problem is that pennies contain high levels of zinc, and as the penny is digested, the dogs start experiencing zinc toxicity. Zinc toxicity can kill a dog within 12 hours. Don’t delay if your dog eats a penny!
This one’s tricky. What did this cat eat?
You will enjoy this. What species of animal is this?
Let’s look at this radiograph now. Can you tell what part of the body this is? What process is going on?
Hope you had fun! Let’s do it again soon.
~Linnaea Scott, DVM 12/8/13.